Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Firmaments

Rocks and water

This is a worm's eye view of the moonrise -- if you're a worm in a boat on the shore of Lake Michigan, anyway. A nice combination of elements -- the earth, water, sky and the realms beyond.

The technique is pretty simple. Stand on a slippery rock and hold an expensive piece of electronic and optical equipment an inch off the surface of the water. Point it in the general direction of your subject. Click, chimp the image on the LCD and try again until satisfied with the image.

While I'm usually a fan of level horizon lines, this seemed tilted enough to look like it was done on purpose for effect. Yeah, that's it. It had nothing to do with the fact that I was nearly standing on my head and barely able to stay on the rock I was on with all that blood rushing to my head, let alone hold the camera level.

That's the ticket.

Location: Cana Island, Door County, Wisconsin. Photograph © 2010 James Jordan.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I like this very much. The simple elements of rock, sea, sky and faint full moon in shades of blue and grey give this a primal feel. The process of taking it sounds like the "take lots of pictures in hopes that one will turn out" method that I often employ.

The tilted horizon does bother me a bit. I think because of the water. I have this feeling that the whole picture will pour out the right hand side. I think I am a little quirky about straightening the horizontal and vertical lines in a photo. I routinely use paint.net to tweak photos before posting. I am a great fan of your blog and read it daily although I seldom comment. You do good work.