Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Cast your bokeh to the wind

I’ve written about and displayed examples of bokeh here before. Bokeh refers to a lens’ quality in rendering out of focus points of light as circles. This is the time of year when we have a lot of little lights around the house – perfect for playing with bokeh shots. When I say a lot of lights, I mean a LOT – I’ll cover that in a future post.

To boost the bokeh-bilities, I built a bokeh background (I love alliteration). I started with a sheet of black foam board and a strand of 50 colored miniature lights. I randomly punched 50 holes in the foam board and inserted the light bulbs, similar to the old Lite-Brite toys when I was a kid (do they still have those?).

I’m now playing with placing a number of subjects in front of the bokeh board to see what happens. Stay tuned for more bokeh madness.

Click on this posts headline for image EXIF data. Click on picture to enlarge the bokeh dots. Photograph © 2008 James Jordan.

No comments: