Friday, November 17, 2006

Lighthouse

On the same evening that I photographed the moon rising over ancient pilings in Lake Michigan near Evanston, I photographed the Grosse Point Lighthouse. As I left town, I spotted another lighthouse of the community – the Springfield Missionary Baptist Church.

I have to like a church that uses a neon sign to make its presence known in the community. But the involvement of the church and its African-American congregation doesn’t stop at the sign. The church runs a weekly soup kitchen for the down and out of its community. Springfield Baptist is also the host church for the New Revelation Community Choir, an ensemble comprised of teenagers. The award-winning choir’s mission is to be a spiritual mentor to the youth of the community while providing opportunity for budding vocal talent to grow and flourish, giving its members a taste of achievement and eventually producing young men and women that become leaders in whichever community they eventually find themselves in.

Guiding people in a positive direction – I like that in a lighthouse.

Click on picture to enlarge. Photograph © 2006 James Jordan.

No comments: