Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Her majesty

The bloom of a Queen Anne’s Lace reaches toward the fog-shrouded morning sun. I found a meadow full of the delicately ornate blossoms while looking for photo subjects last weekend.

The flower came into popularity in England in the early 1700’s during the reign of Queen Anne. It quickly became a staple of gardens and hitched a ride to the new world via the colonists who sought their freedom and fortunes here.

Freedom and fortunes are doing OK here, and the flower is faring just as well.

Click on picture to enlarge. Photograph © 2006 James Jordan.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Queen Ann's Lace is considered an obnoxious weed in the Northwest where I grew up. It's prolific and grows everywhere. Here in Southern California where I now live, it's too dry for it to grow wild, and I've seen it used quite often in florist bouquets. I guess it all depends on your perspective. I enjoy this picture a lot because it brings back childhood memories.

Ghone said...

Great composition. Really great.