Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Dark clouds

This wasn’t the shot I had planned. I kept my eye on the sky and clouds as the day drew to a close in Door County last July. It had been raining on and off all day, and it appeared that the sky was clearing. If things worked out, the sun would break through just before it set, illuminating the clouds with a fiery hue.

I set up in a small park on the shore of Green Bay to wait and see what would happen. The sky did continue to clear, but instead of a fiery show, the sky glowed a light orange color behind the remaining dark clouds, then disappeared for the day.

I saw a composition forming with a boat dock and some dark clouds that floated by above it. I wanted to be sure the dock could be seen above the horizon line. The only way to do that was to hold the camera just inches above the water. I did, bent over and unable to see the shot before I took it. I made several shots, a couple of which came out framed nicely.

The plans to get through the cloudy days don’t always come off the way we envision them, but we humans manage to make the best of it anyway.

Click on picture to enlarge. Photograph © 2008 James Jordan.

1 comment:

Michael said...

Gorgeous photo.

Take Care
Michael