Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Ultra violet

This year marks the 100th anniversary of the adoption of the violet as the state flower of Illinois. In 1907, schoolchildren across the state cast their votes among a list of native flowers. The violet beat the second place flower, the wild rose, by 3,855 votes. The state legislature made it official the following year.

The violet also performs state flower duty in Wisconsin, Rhode Island and New Jersey.

While the blue violet is the officially designated flower, Illinois is also home to more than 30 other species of violet, including this white/purple/yellow fellah I shot in my backyard.

Now you know.

Click on picture to enlarge. Photograph © 2008 James Jordan.

3 comments:

Wanda said...

There is something about a flower up close like that ~~ it takes my beath away.... so beautiful, I can reach out and touch it.

Mariluz said...

Magníficas fotos. Un saludo desde Spain.

Anonymous said...

Very vulnerable !! I took oa pic almost like your's yesterday but it is still in my camera only.