Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Going back

I started this photo blog nearly three years ago as a way to showcase my growing collection of lighthouse photos. Hence, the name of this blog and the tag line on the header.

I’ve been involved in creative work most of my professional life, so I know that creativity is quite cyclical. It comes and goes, ebbs and flows. At the moment I am at an ebb point. But things will pick up; they always have, so I’m not too worried. You’ll just have to bear with me while I try to jump-start things.

One of the things I’m doing to help myself is to dig into the archives. It’s interesting to see things I had done years ago from the perspective of several additional years of experience. I can see now how some photos could stand a lot of improvement while I am pleasantly surprised at how well others have stood up over the years.

This photo of the Portland Head Lighthouse was taken in August of 2001. I had arrived at the lighthouse earlier in the day and taken a number of images under a clear blue sky. I returned later in the day as the sun was setting and a weather front rolled in from the west. A small sailboat made its way into the harbor as the day drew to a close.

I could have been satisfied with the okay but not exciting photos I had taken earlier, but I decided to go back to see what else could happen. I’m glad I did. Just like I’m glad for the archive of photos I can dig through.

More to come.

Click on picture to enlarge. Photograph © 2008 James Jordan.

2 comments:

sherri said...

A superb image. I love lighthouses and that sailboat adds a special touch.

Wanda said...

We flew from California to Portland Maine in a 4 passenger Sensa many years ago. We were able to visit this wonderful lighthouse! It was a great experience, both flying across the country, then seeing all the historic things on the East Coast.

Great Shot!!!