Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Straight and narrow

This pathway, once a service road for the farm that occupied this land, now leads into the Freeman Kame, an area of rolling hills and marshes in northern Kane County, Illinois. The result of glacial activity from eons past, the area is one of a few remarkable wilderness areas near Chicago, and one that few people consider as they drive past it on their way to the large outlet mall a couple of miles down the road.

I’ve often passed by it myself on the way to said outlet mall, with only a small bit of curiosity as to what lay beyond the gate at the beginning of the path. This past weekend brought snow, rain, more snow, ice and sleet in abundance, coating the area in wintery white. I ventured out and explored the area, and shot a roll of film in the process.

This is the first exposure I made. The straight path leads into the wooded area. A man had been here earlier, along with a large dog, their footprints leading into and emerging from the preserve along this pathway.

More photos to come, and definitely more exploration to be done here in the spring.

Click on picture to enlarge. Photograph © 2007 James Jordan.

Here's as captivating a photo blog as I've ever seen. The only difference is that this photo blog has no photos. It's currently one of the hot blogs at Photoblogs.org.

2 comments:

Sheila said...

It's amazing the lovely areas you can find amongst so many people. I loved going on the Prairie Path when we lived in Glen Ellyn. I haven't been to the outlet mall yet, but next time I visit my son and daughter in law, I'll have to check it out. Me, I love the nature stuff better.

High Power Rocketry said...

Hi just visiting! : )