Saturday, January 06, 2007

January musings

Soon the Christmas lights and ornaments will be carefully packed away and stored until the next holiday season. The anticipation and experience of the holidays will now turn to counting down the days of winter that remain until spring.

While I can’t complain about the mild weather that El Nino has sent our way (opening my heating bill certainly is a much happier experience this year), I wonder if that will make the wait for Spring easier or harder to bear. Will we be teased for the next three months or will we get a dose of real live upper Midwestern winter? It’d be nice to have some more snow to photograph.

I’ve also made the decision that soon I will take the plunge into digital photography. I’ve been a film guy since I took up photography in earnest about eight years ago. Two of my kids now have point-and-shoot digital cameras, which I got to play with over the Christmas holidays, and I must say that I’m impressed with the capabilities that are available, even in some of the simplest models. I’d like to get one of my own (because my kids are sure to get annoyed if I continually ask to borrow theirs) to see just how far those capabilities can be pushed. Plus, it will give me an idea what most casual photographers are dealing with and provide some good fodder for my photo advice blog, Ready, Aim, Click, which if you’re into photography at any level, you should visit.

Very soon, I'll be asking some of the very talented photographers in my blogroll for their contributions to Ready, Aim, Click as well as tapping into the photo community at Flickr. Stay tuned ... it should be good.

Ready, Aim, Click is growing little by little, and will soon be ready for some intentional promotion. Check it out and let me know what you think.

Click on picture to enlarge. Photograph © 2007 James Jordan.

3 comments:

engloy said...

Great job on "Ready, Aim, Click", James. I wrote an article for my own blog titled "Ten Tips To Better Digital Photography" some time back. I think some of the snippets on "Ready, Aim, Click" says in a very concise and focused way some of things I was trying to say then. Great stuff!

Welcome in taking the digital plunge too! :) I'm looking forward to what you can do with digital given the already amazing stuff we've been seeing from you on film. My father took his plunge about half a year ago, giving up almost 50 years of dedication to film transparencies. I must say, he's now hooked to this Leica DMR :)

Cedar Waxwing said...

Thanks for setting up Ready, Aim, Click. I've subscribed to it and have read what you've already posted. I've already learned a lot. I'll also tell some friends about it.

Anonymous said...

your website is really concise and helpful. do keep up the good work (: hope to see more articles soon!