Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Branch and moon

Long story short. It snowed. I went outside with my camera. I stood under a tree. I took a picture. Here it is.

Longer story. Overnight snow left a coating on the trees. The next morning, I stood under an oak tree looking through the viewfinder of the camera at various limbs, trying to frame a pleasing set of branches. I got to this branch which brought to mind the look and feel of a Japanese woodcut print.

Interesting how an idea may crop up while exploring nothing in particular. Some process-oriented people might call it wasting time. We intuitive types know better.

Click on picture to enlarge. Photograph © 2005 James Jordan.

11 comments:

Lynn Green said...

could you send some that snow down to Oklahoma?

James said...

I would if I could. Hope you're not affected by the fires going on down there.

Carol said...

What a beautiful photo! I've always loved the look of snow on trees. Great photography!

~m2~ said...

james, this is wonderful - it almost looks like you have photoshopped it to appear as a print instead of a picture!! but of course, i know you wouldn't do that so i will simply acknowledge a wonderful shot :)

James said...

m2,
I can freely confess that the image you see is what hit the film in my camera. Thanks for the comments and for stopping by!

DayByDay4-2Day said...

I love it.
I think I would like to paint something like that some time.

stargazer said...

This is a great shot. The view through the snowy branches to the moon is very impressive.

Jeff said...

I love that picture, the faint moon against the striking blue sky, with the tree branches straining towards it. Looking forward to seeing many more like it in 2006. God bless.

James said...

Thanks, everyone, for your kind comments.

Lorna said...

ooh my -- I love this

snow on trees carol? We've got plenty!!!

Ruhh said...

interesting composition. I like it. I think this shot would look pretty cool in black and white or a sepia/quadtone type thing. I would also maybe try to photoshop out the branches in the background in the bottom right corner. That's weird that I'm saying that cause I don't like 'faking'.