Saturday, October 01, 2005

Interesting web site

A couple of mornings ago, I noticed that a garden spider had built its web across the back door of our garage. There’s a window in that door and apparently at night the light in the garage attracted a goodly number of insects. I imagine this suited the spider just fine as it searched for a place in which to build. Location, location, location.

I could open the door and get a great eye-level view of the intricate weaving. However, I noticed that the lower portion of the web had sustained some of damage.

“Hey,” I said to my wife, “A spider built a web across the back door.”

“I know,” she replied, “I walked through it yesterday.”

I’ve never been able to look at a spider web in the fall without thinking of Charlotte’s Web, which I read in third grade, where she tells Wilber, her porcine protector, that she will soon die. Wilbur frantically tries to think of a way to put off the inevitable, while Charlotte calmly accepts things as they must be. An interesting thing to imprint in the mind of a nine-year-old. It’s stuck with me to this day.

Click on picture to enlarge. Photograph © 2005 James Jordan.

2 comments:

Dawn said...

Great Title!
Love them all, keep up the great work.... I'll be back

~pen~ said...

i still quote lines from "Charlotte's Web." so does my husband...

(i love your photographs - have i told you that already?)