Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Achieving balance

Much like the elusive state of balance that many seek in their lives, this picture was a bear to achieve. I had been thinking for some time about doing some table top photos with a stack of stones. I found a small light box that my daughter had purchased for a craft project a few months back, and an idea was born.

The light box was used as the base of support for the stack of stones as well as the main light source for the picture. The stones are free standing - no glue or wires, just physics. Once I got the stones to stay in place, I quickly set up a camera on a tripod and took a couple of shots of the stack itself just in case it collapsed before I could get some hands in the picture. Once I got those safely on the memory card, I set the camera's self timer and reached over and around the camera to get my hands in the picture. Voila.

This photo just seems ideal for a "Depressories" poster:

Click on this post's headline for image EXIF data. Click on picture to enlarge. Photograph © 2008 James Jordan.

2 comments:

HeyJules said...

James, it's a great image but a REALLY great poster!

n8 said...

Ditto on both accounts. That really is... well... maybe too true to be funny, but I laughed anyway 'cause I'm kinda sick that way.