Thursday, October 30, 2008

Lost in thought

Think back. Way-y-y-y- back. What's the earliest experience you can recall in your life? For me, my earliest recollection is when I am a crawler. I've found an open jar of pennies and I am fascinated by the shiny coins. I pick up a small chubby handful and place them in my mouth, experiencing all the metallic copper goodness my young taste buds can process. Then I am making gagging sounds. I don't recall experiencing any sense of panic. Perhaps I am too young to know that I am choking to death on a mouthful of pennies. My mother rushes into the room, making a number of loud, rapid vocal noises. I am whisked up, my mouth is cleared of coinage and eventually all is well.

The only other thing I remember is a neighbor asking what I thought of my new baby sister the day she and mom came home from the hospital when I was about three. As I recall, I didn't have that strong of an opinion at the time. I made some kind of noncommittal answer and went about playing with my stuff.

I see young children and wonder what's going through their heads - what thoughts and experiences will they look back on years from now? We are all the sum total of our experiences, good, bad and otherwise. The building blocks that are laid today will pretty much determine the structure that will be standing years from now.

Just a thought.


Click on picture to enlarge. Photograph © 2008 James Jordan.

1 comment:

Wanda said...

I have posted a picture of my earliest recollection last year... A gust of wind in my face. I was probably three years old. It was in Yosemite and we were standing againt a railing on a cliff..the wind was blowing and my dad was taking a picture of us saying smile, but my face couldn't because of the wind.... Funny those first impressions.

The picture is absolutely adorable.