Wednesday, December 12, 2007

I (heart) Christmas

About two decades ago, my wife, with some help from our kids, crafted a nativity set out of some clothespins, Popsicle™ sticks and scraps of cloth. Every year since then, that makeshift manger scene has graced some portion of our home at Christmas time. Over the last 20 years, the kids have grown up, I’ve grown older and not necessarily wiser, and the world around us has changed dramatically. The pace of life is faster. Everything is more complicated. Nothing is certain any more.

So for me, that nativity set is a link to a time when life was slower-paced and simpler in so many ways.

The years may have passed and the world spun out of control around them, but those simple items continue to tell a simple story and proclaim a simple truth that transcends time.

Photo with good Karma: Barn in winter won this week's open theme photo contest at Flickr's Karma group. Winners are chosen by vote from members of the group.

Photo: I (heart) Christmas. Heart-shaped bokeh created by placing a piece of paper with a cutout in front of the camera lens. Figures lit by a small flashlight. Exposure: 1/8 second at f5.6, 100 ISO film. Photograph © 2007 James Jordan.

2 comments:

Kim said...

What a wonderful treasure you have in this nativity scene! Congrats on winning the open theme contest - your Barn in Winter shot is fabulous!

Wanda said...

What a precious nativity. I wish I could add that one to my collection!!