Monday, October 22, 2007

Michigan leaf

After living in northern Illinois for the past 16 years, I had forgotten how beautiful autumns were in central Michigan. Nine days ago, on the morning my father died, my wife and I drove at sunrise to the hospital about a dozen miles from the small town where he had lived nearly all of his 71 years. The first sunlight of the newborn day played on rolling hills - the space between them creating beds in which blankets of fog lay tucked between patchwork quilts of gold and red. The scenery was achingly beautiful.

This leaf was captured on film subsequent to that beautiful Michigan autumn morning, its shape mimicking the outline of the state that I called home for more than three decades.

And, as I discovered over the course of the last several days, it's still home.

Click on picture to enlarge. Photograph © 2007 James Jordan.

6 comments:

Wanda said...

And as "Dorothy" said... "There is no place like home"
Very beautifully written post, and a equally beautiful photo!

:)

Visual-Voice said...

Sorry to hear about the passing of your father. May your thoughts of him be a celebration of his time walking this earth.

Otto K. said...

Beautiful, James.

HeyJules said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, James.

Beautiful photo, though...

Kim said...

Beautiful image and story James. Still sending prayers your way.

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean - Northern Illinois is still "home" for me, even though I've not lived there since 1981.

Shortly after your father's death, my mother-in-law passed away and we made the journey to Elgin for the services.

Life / death / life - it's happening everywhere.