Monday, October 29, 2007

Katydid OK for herself

I found this katydid while strolling through my dad’s garden a few days after he passed away. She was pretty sluggish in the chilly morning air, but she’s a survivah. Missing one hind leg, lost to who knows what? A bird? A small animal? A kid with a thing for sadism? How many times did she nearly become somebody else's meal?

She made it this far, through the days of warmth and sunshine to this juncture between summer and winter. Her time is short, but she has accomplished what she set out to do, which was to live long enough to keep the species going.

We’ll hear from her kids next year.

Click on picture to enlarge. Photograph © 2007 James Jordan.

Wild and lucky, that's me. I've had a photo selected as a favorite at the Moody Monday photo challenge for the second week in a row. Two weeks ago, I apparently captured the essence of the word "lucky." Last week, I scored with a depiction of "wild." We'll see if I can add "lazy" to my resume this week.

2 comments:

Sheila said...

I always like to get your take on your subjects. I appreciate the insight.

Wanda said...

How sad it lost it's little leg! But just kept going to fullfil it's destiny. Love your picture and your narative.