Monday, July 30, 2007

Crossing that bridge

In Old English, the ant was known as an “emmet” and the name came to express industriousness, energy and persistence. This guy was playing the role to the hilt as I followed his journey on a sunflower in my garden. “Emmett” followed a loosely repeating path along the flower head, stalk and leaf, doing whatever it is that ants do on a sunflower (later discovered to be eating small insects and removing decaying matter). I snapped old Em as he crossed a leaf stem on his way back to the main stalk.

Once I had Emmett’s path figured out, all I had to do was compose the shot and wait for him to come into view.

Scientific studies have shown that individual ants display a predictable set of activities, while colonies are entirely chaotic, yet still manage to get the main job done. They must have studied business at the same place as the people who run the company I work at.

Click on picture to enlarge. Photograph copyright 2007 James Jordan.

1 comment:

HeyJules said...

I absolutely LOVE this photograph!