Saturday, June 16, 2007

Partying like it's 1990

A few billion 17-year cicadas are having a party in northern Illinois. The northwest suburbs of Chicago was not one of the party destinations, so I decided to find one and crash it. The cicadas are particularly thick in the western and northern suburbs so I headed for a forest preserve north of Des Plaines, hoping to find a few. The closer my wife and I got to the preserve, the more we were certain we had picked the right spot. We could hear the party in progress.

The din created by a couple million cicadas is incredible. It's deafening and it's incessant. And they were everywhere. In trees, bushes, grass and in the air. No trouble finding subjects to photograph. Just stand still and eventually one will land on you.

I spent about 45 minutes to an hour taking pictures. After getting back into my car and rolling up the windows, only then did I notice that my ears were ringing.

Click on pictures to enlarge. Photographs © 2007 James Jordan

2 comments:

Wanda said...

Sounds like you went to a Cicadas' Rock Concert! Next time take earplugs!! (((smile))) Nice Picture.

Sheila said...

What you go through! Great shot.