Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Can't tax this

I spent quite a bit of time last evening thinking of an appropriate photo to post for Income Tax Day here in the U.S. For those of you who may be unfamiliar with the yearly ritual (either you’re reading this from outside the U.S. or you decided to quit paying income tax twenty years ago), common ordinary citizens untrained in the intricacies of law or accounting are required to navigate through the U.S. Income Tax Code, a volume of laws, regulations and rules several feet in thickness created by lawyers and lifetime bureaucrats, and apply those rules that are pertinent to their situation (income level, family size and age, participating or non-participating business, investment and/or rental income, found money in the sofa cushions, NCAA pool winnings, etc.), report it all to the government, who already knows all this information about you anyway but are just testing your honesty, calculate your tax liability and, based on money withheld from your paychecks over the course of the past year, determine whether you finished in the plus or minus column.

I considered posting my Spring Meme Flower with most of the petals plucked off (a metaphorical depiction of my take on the tax code), but that required way too much time in PhotoShop.

Instead, I decided to post the above photo, taken as day broke east of Bloomington, Illinois last weekend. It’s also metaphorical. It’s a new day, with new opportunities, and the road is there waiting for you to do some exploring.

And unless you find some money along the way, the U.S. government can’t tax that.

Click on picture to enlarge. Photograph © 2007 James Jordan.

3 comments:

JAM said...

Simply a beautiful photograph. On one level, it's a gorgeous sunrise, but it's shot in such a way as to give me the feeling of being there. I've seen a few sunrises similar to this, and I guess this photo just completely brings back the feeling of being there. Great shot.

Mohammad said...

Hi, I found your photoblog's link in VFXY and added this one (and also 'Back from Central Illinois' photo) to my collection there. I just wanted to congratulate for your delightful photographs. my photos are not as beautiful as yours and I really envy you. Keep up the good work!

James said...

jam, thanks for the kind comment. I do try to take pictures in a way that will involve the viewer. That usually means taking care with how I position myself when taking the picture. Glad you liked this one.

mohammad,thanks for the comment. VFXY is a great place to discover some great photographers. I've tagged several there myself (and added some to my blogroll). It takes a lot of time, practice and patience to develop as a photographer. Keep at it!