Thursday, January 25, 2007

Convergence

What you see in this photo is not a single set of footprints in the sand, but a merging of the footsteps of two people, walking in close proximity, facing the harsh elements of the stiff, cold wind and salt spray of a beach on the Atlantic Ocean.

My wife and I arrived at this beach for slightly differing reasons. Me to photograph the sunrise, she to accompany me, and pick up shells and entertain the ghost crabs that skittered from small hole to small hole in the packed sand.

The sunrise itself was not very spectacular. As I sat disappointed with the photos I had taken, I glanced to my left and saw the footprints of two people who long ago chose to accompany each other on a journey through life; the crashing waves of anticipation, hope, disappointment and joy pounding in their ears.

And I was satisfied that this had been a good morning.

Morning footprints, original shot on film, scanned and Orton process applied. Click on picture to enlarge. Photograph © 2007 James Jordan.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is really nice and I like your take on the situation. Sometimes disappointing developments give us fodder for better things.

CyberCelt said...

I would say your life is good as well.
Here from Blog Village Carnival.

Now, I have to go find out about the Orton process.

JAM said...

Incredibly beautiful shot.

I've had a few outings where things didn't go as planned, but ended up with some shoot-from-the-hip shots that made the whole thing worthwhile.

(I'm here from the Blog Village Goes Gonzo Carnival.)

Naomi said...

Good photo, even if it didn't turn out as you originally planned. Found you at the Blog Village Carnival.

Unknown said...

The photo is breathtaking and the meaning...priceless! I, too am curious about the Orton process!! I followed your link from the BLOG VILLAGE Goes Gonzo Carnival!!!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful! I've often noticed that in the desire to get a particular shot, it's easy to overlook the wonderful opportunities right in front of you. This photo speaks to the wisdom of living in the present and appreciating the perfection of the moment.