Monday, December 11, 2006

Star race

Moonlight illuminates the face of an old barn while stars streak by in this six-minute exposure. The reflection of moonlight off the snow-covered ground was enough to light the area under the eaves.

I’m still trying to get over my feelings of insecurity when doing night shots. I’m barely able to see to focus and compose the shot and I have yet to fully trust that the camera and film will capture what my eyes cannot see. In this case, the only star bright enough for me to see was the reddish one touching the barn’s roof to the left of the peak. I set up my tripod so that the star was just out of view, knowing that the rotation of the earth would bring it above the roofline over the course of six minutes. I had to trust that other stars, not visible to me, would show up in the shot. I really hoped that this shot and a couple of others I took early yesterday morning were not a waste of time.

Oh me of little faith.

Click on picture to enlarge. Photograph © 2006 Jams Jordan.

No comments: