Sunday, November 12, 2006

Lava bomb

Volcanic explosions can hurl thick molten rock thousands of feet into the air. Often, that molten material forms into spherical or disk shaped objects that harden in flight and drop to the ground. These rocks from the sky gained the moniker “lava bombs.” I can imagine that it would not be a pleasant experience being caught in a lava bomb barrage.

This lava bomb was found sitting on the decaying trunk of a fallen tree at the Sunset Volcano Crater near Flagstaff, Arizona. Someone, or perhaps several someones, placed the heavy bowling-ball-sized bomb on its perch.

I liked the way the wavy lines of the decaying tree leads to the reddish sphere set against the deep blue Arizona sky from which it fell.

My thanks to the bomb squad for setting up this shot for me.

Click on picture to enlarge. Photograph © 2006 James Jordan.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very good! The first beautiful bomb I've ever seen.