Monday, July 17, 2006

Nightscape

The heat index, a measure of relative misery, hit 113 degrees in parts of the Chicago area today, the air hanging heavily like a thick blanket. If I have to be that hot, I’d at least like to be in a place like the one I photographed above last September.

This is the beach off Cape Hatteras, North Carolina. Feathery clouds burst into flame to protest the dying of the daylight. A steady breeze propels a salty mist inland while foaming fingers of surf reach onto the shore, then draw back reluctantly.

Yup. Much better than the sweating sauna of the suburbs where I am now.

Remarkable photo alert: How cool is this?

Click on picture to enlarge. Photograph © 2006 James Jordan.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photo. We just returned from vacation and stayed last night in St. George, Utah. It was 115 degrees in St. George yesterday. When we left this morning it was in the upper 90's. I have a whole new appreciation for the word "hot".

Anonymous said...

This is excellent. I feel almost embarrassed that it's only around 90F here, it still feels too hot though! ;-)