Thursday, October 13, 2005

Autumn hue

This autumn monochrome study brings to mind a hand-colored black and white print. But other than minor adjustments to the brightness levels in Photoshop, this is pretty much how the image landed on my film. It was pure experimentation, but I'’m pretty pleased with the results.

This photo was taken on a drab, overcast day at Kangaroo Lake in Door County, Wisconsin. I used a sunset filter to add the ruddy hue to the scene and a graduated neutral density filter to darken the sky a bit. A half-second exposure helped to smooth out the waves on the lake.

The power of the photographer to change reality? Not really. More of an artistic interpretation of the visual combined with the emotional to create an image that evokes a response. At least that is what I aim for with my photography.

Click on picture to enlarge. Photograph © 2005 James Jordan.

2 comments:

Azu said...

Beautiful photographs, James! I also like the style of your Flickr badge.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for giving those of us in warmer climes some autumn to enjoy! And I've thoroughly enjoy your site.
Mrs. Blogotional