Wednesday, July 20, 2005

A game of inches


Laurel Falls, Great Smoky Mountains National Park

I got a chance to photograph a fair amount of water in the Smokies. The region receives an average of 63 inches of rainfall each year, and all that water has to go somewhere. My wife and I saw where some of it went while we were visiting a couple of weeks ago. We encountered the remnants of tropical storm Cindy, which brought torrential rains for a day and a half. Streams and creeks (many of which we didn’t know existed until they suddenly appeared) were swollen and many roads flooded.

The mountains drain water in all directions, and in many places, the difference of just a few inches will determine whether a drop of water will end up in the Gulf of Mexico or the Atlantic Ocean.

I’ve thought back on some seemingly small decisions I’ve made that have greatly influenced where I’ve wound up in life. That math class I didn’t take my junior year. My choice of college. Staying in one job one month too long. Going after another job I had no intention of getting, then accepting when offered it. Is it just chance that I went a few inches one way instead of the other, which brought me to a radically different place in life than I would have been otherwise? Or was Someone nudging me in a direction of His own choosing?

I'm thinking the latter.

I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you and watch over you. Psalm 32:8

Blogotional adds some thoughts to a Scotwise piece about Christian service. Good thoughts about being obedient to the urgings of God.

Click on photos to enlarge. Copyright 2005 James Jordan Posted by Picasa

No comments: