Tuesday, May 31, 2005

A Life's Work


I came across this old farm implement along Highway EE in Door County, Wisconsin. I was struck by the rustic beauty of the setting and took several photos of various pieces of equipment sitting in the meadow. I was struck later by the visual irony of this photo. Here was a piece of machinery that was once used to destroy the grasses and wildflowers that now grace the scene. Looks like the flowers got the last laugh.

To be sure, this implement was used in a noble task - to break ground to feed a family and perhaps others. But its lasting legacy is now to point to a time long past.

I'd like my legacy to go beyond "he sure took care of his family." I'd like to leave some footprints of lasting beauty on my journey.

May the favor of the Lord our God rest upon us; establish the work of our hands for us – yes, establish the work of our hands. Psalm 90:17 NIV

No comments: